Monday, January 2, 2012

Leave nothing but footprints...

My biggest dilemma when I run with the dogs is dealing with poop. Without fail, every time we go running my Working Beardie Brody will go, generally about 3 miles from home in the nicest front yard he can find. Not the field we just passed, not the woods 50 strides ahead but the wannabe golf course where not a dandelion dares to grow. On the rare occasion he does not pick an 'edged with scissors' yard, he'll go in the middle of the pavement, where I'll be sure to step in it tomorrow. So of course I'm obligated to bag it up, and thus obligated to carry the warm, swinging bag, alternating from hand to hand, for a half hour until we get home.


They make little clips so you can tie the bag to your leash, but I couldn't deal with a full bag swinging like a pendulum banging into my shin every other step. I debated using biodegradable ones and just tossing it into the woods or field, but the 45 days (plus!) it takes for them to decompose is just too long. And although placing the bag along the curb and retrieving it with the car after I'm home sounds great, but I know I'd never do it. Leaving the dog at home would solve the issue, but then I have to deal with an energetic herding dog.... and that's not for me. The ONLY good Border Collie is a TIRED Border Collie. Do you understand my dilemma?


REI to the Rescue! I finally realized that the only fair way to manage the poo situation was to make Brody carry it himself, and the best way to do that would be in a back pack. Think saddlebags for your pup. I did some looking, and realized I could spend anywhere between $15 and $150 on a pack, with quality and fit issues interspersed among the brands. PetCo has their own brand and is so flimsy, it wasn't even worth the money to try. PetSmart carries the OutWard Hound line - there's a standard and a deluxe. The deluxe with the padded chest strap was definitely worth a try, the medium fit my athletic 40 pound dogs well... but the price tag was pretty high for such a basic product. Kurgo makes a nice pack that adjusts for 30 to 80 pound dogs and is just a few dollars more than the OutWard Hound... and you get a much nicer product. I struck the jackpot though when I got a REI Ultra pack off Ebay. The small size fits perfect and it is so nicely made. Locking snaps so the strap adjustment won't slip, reflective strips, waterproof zippers and compression straps - features galore. Soft mesh, tough canvas, oh! While the $75 retail is a bit steep, the pack is worth every penny, especially if you can find it on ebay for less.


We went for a quick 3 mile run today wearing the pack. Brody had modeled it a few times in the house without issue, but this was the first time he really got to move around. No rubs or sores, it was empty so I can't really comment on shifting or sliding, but seems like a winner so far.

Even better... he did not poop.


No comments:

Post a Comment